Tuesday, September 10, 2013

On Deck

Sitting on our deck outside of our kitchen, drinking coffee or a beer, I'm almost surrounded by pots and troughs.  The small hypertufa pot above, a throwaway that I cast to use up the leftover mix after a casting session, has turned into a beauty over the years.  With its erodium blooming, it makes a great centerpiece.

I cast this smallish hypertufa bowl over a yard-sale tupperware bowl about 5 years ago.  I learned the hard way that it's too small for anything but drought-indifferent plants like sedums and semps.  

The fig has fruit for the first time this year.  It is a cutting from a friend (who was given it by an elderly neighbor) that I've grown for three years or so.  It lives in the ugly plastic pot in the middle picture.  I haven't planted the fig tree in a hypertufa planter because I put it in the basement each winter.  

I had assumed that it was a regular brown fig.  Imagine my surprise as the first fig ripened to a lovely yellowish-green last week.  Maybe it's worth lugging that plastic pot indoors each winter after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment