After a long, wet Saturday morning volunteering at Laurelwood Arboretum, I had a sunny Sunday afternoon to continue the spring cleanup in my own garden. Heading to the backyard on the path by the garage, I passed the gorgeous viburnum farreri 'nanum' in bloom, and had one of those "What the...???" moments.
It's too cold in the winter to cast hypertufa, or to work for long in my unheated wood shop, so I end up working on things at the kitchen table. We recently bought a new bedroom set for the master bedroom and I felt like we needed a new bracket shelf too. I started this one with 1x8"pine, some leftover molding, pink rigid foam, and Apoxy clay. It felt good to work on something for a change. Cabin fever drives me crazy.
I chose a sort of Gothic oak leaf pattern, but made it up as I went along. It took about 4 hours to do the floral modeling.
I painted it with an acrylic primer and hung it up in the bedroom so my wife and I could think about a finish for it. The shelf will be a pedestal for vases of flowers and various sculptures throughout the year, so I don't want anything too attention-grabbing.
I think that we've settled on a light slate paint color...or maybe a linen color...or maybe silver leaf.