Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New Combo, Old Song


This year I tried salvia verticillata 'Purple Rain' near the pale yellow rose 'Teasing Georgia'.  I kind of like it today, but we'll see what happens in another month.  The salvia replaced some orange/yellow coreopsis that were perfectly happy in their spot but clashed perfectly ugly with the purple/magenta phlox paniculata 'Nicky' behind them.  I'm hoping the salvia has a nice rebloom in July so I can see it slow-dancing with Nicky.  Yes, I always think of the Prince song when I see that salvia.  Always.  Not fair, salvia breeders.

I've sown some black bachelor's buttons at the feet of the salvia, hoping they will mediate any fighting in this bed later on.  Now if we could just get some rain to go with our unreasonable heat this week...

1 comment:

  1. Rain? What is that? Is it available in Virginia? I think not.

    Pretty grouping, tho.

    ReplyDelete