Monday, June 27, 2011

Border Control

As a gardener, I feel like I should be at peace with things that are out of my control.  I know in my heart that things change, plants are resilient etc., but this is not easy:

South fencerow in my garden, June 1st

South fencerow in my garden, June 27th

Yup, the bench and all of that loveliness is mine.  The privet hedge belongs to my neighbors.  They trim it every summer, but this year it was a major haircut.  I got a sinking feeling in my gut when I saw them string the line and start cutting.  I count on the neighbor's hedge to provide shade for the perennials in that bed.  There will be some unhappy days as the plants and I adjust to our new exposure.

At least he hasn't torn it out, as he casually mentioned two years ago.  And yes, the hedge will probably be better for it in the long run. 

1 comment:

  1. that is truly frustrating. It looks like he trimmed "your" side, too. If so, perhaps you can get him to agree to let you trim "your" side and then you can trim less and keep it thicker to provide a bit more shade, altho you can't do anything about the height.

    I have had the same problem with our back neighbor and finally had to tell him that I would slap him if he came on "my" side again. He liked cutting it back to the trunks and leaving me nothing to look at but stubs. I trim it twice a summer to keep it thick.

    sorry for your loss, but the plants will probably do fine - eventually - and like hair, it will grow back.

    ReplyDelete