Sunday, September 3, 2017

Sometimes I Make Things Other Than Troughs...(Part III)

My wife will be the first to tell you, I get weird over the winter.  When my hands are idle I go a little nuts.  Drawing helps, but sometimes I just need to make something, even if it's just a good loaf of bread.  Most winters, when it's too cold to work on hypertufa or woodworking projects in the garage, I'll make a small sculpture at the kitchen table.  If the sculpture is intricate and takes many hours of handwork with small tools, even better.

Above is a small faux-bois Gothic shelf that I made this winter and then gave away to artist friends as a housewarming gift.  The sculpture on top is gold-leafed heart made by the husband for his wife.  I love that my sculpture is the pedestal for this offering.

The sculpture is made of pine, wire and a two-part resin clay called Apoxy.  

The resin clay cures in about 24 hours so I have a pretty long open time to work with it.

The best part is underneath.


1 comment:

  1. I love that it's more than half .. a really lovely design.

    ReplyDelete