Sunday, October 25, 2015

Mountain Harebell

In the spring I delivered new troughs to a member of my rock garden club near Morristown, NJ.  She was kind enough to give me a selection of alpines that she had grown from seed from the NARGS seed exchange.  She had flats and flats of self-sown treasures; I was in awe at her prowess.

In the group that she gave me was campanula lasiocarpa, a plant new to me.  It's also called mountain harebell, or Alaska harebell.  

The foliage is a small tuft, with the delicate purply flowers held by long, thin stems, making it difficult to photograph.  

The remarkable thing is that it's been in bloom continuously since the spring, usually with 5+ blooms.  It's one tough customer.





1 comment:

  1. Am in awe of your tiny plants. Never had much interest in them until i started seeing your pretty troughs.

    ReplyDelete