Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Hardy Begonia


begonia grandis

A friend gave this to me last fall, not knowing if it was hardy or not.  I planted it in the shady, moist bed on the north side of our garage.  In the spring it failed to reappear and I thought "oh well" and moved on.  Only in the early summer did I notice its distinctive leaves rising up from the ferns and Solomon's Seal.


I've been warned that this spreads very, very easily by little bulbils at the leaf axis.  I did notice that a small new plant sprouted where I dumped the extra potting soil from the pot that I had used to transport the plant.

I'll be watching this one.

1 comment:

  1. I have a tiny patch, and would love for it to spread, but after years it has not. My spot may be too dry. It does appear late in the season, too.

    ReplyDelete